iClean/Carbon Copy Cloner

matblack at mac.com matblack at mac.com
Thu Apr 22 21:10:42 PDT 2004

On another note... in the spirit of freeing up some HD space... I
bought iClean, and sadly, ran it.

This is without a doubt one of the worst "Norton" products ever
produced. Unless you really, really understand OSX very well, it
essentially gives you an option to trash a lot of files that are
reasonably critical to happy computing.

As it turns out I did just that. Very bad and messy and a major pain in
the Caboose!

Fortunately I had just made a bootable backup with Carbon Copy Cloner.
Although I will say this... restoring (ie reverse cloning) took ages
and hung on 5 different occasions... took me all day just to get back
to square one.

Saved my bacon nonetheless...

For all the newbies... learn from my over zealousness... if your system
is not broke, don't even try to optimize... it's probably not really
worth the trouble, the gains will be minimal, and should something go
awry it's most definitely not worth the trouble!

My two cents...

Matthew Guemple
c. 646.734.6601
matblack at mac.com