os 9 and x

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue Apr 27 14:27:58 PDT 2004

John Park <jp at johnparkcomedy.com> wrote:

> I have a mac with two drives.  One has system 9 on it, the other x (but
> not 9. of course, though it runs in classic.)
>
> I'm having trouble upgrading some software from version two, which runs
> on 9 to version 3 which runs on x.

What's the software?  In some cases, the earlier version of software must be
present to receive the upgrade to the next version.  In other cases, the new
version is a complete package in itself.  What's the case with you?  What
about trying to install the earlier version on the drive that has X and then
upgrading it?

> My friend seems to think that if I had 9 and x on one drive, I could
> upgrade successfully.
>
> Should I...
> put system x on each drive?  This doesn't sound smart to me.

You can do that.
> or
> Take off system x off of the other drive and put it on the system 9
> drive?

You can do that too.  But you can't just do a "finder copy" of X from one
drive to the other because X has many hidden files.  It must be a completely
new installation from CD-ROMs, or you can use a utility like Carbon Copy
Cloner to make the move.  And CCC is free.

--
Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,