[X Newbies] SFTP

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Apr 27 13:05:48 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 04:35:06PM +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
:
: Thanks for the information.  One point to take this a little further.  If
: I turn file sharing on, does this leave port 22 open so that I can SSH
: into my machine?

Personal File Sharing requires ports 427 and 548 to be open.  It's not
related to SSH at all.

: Following on from this, aren't I leaving a nice big
: open door for hacker attacks via port 22?  I do have a hardware firewall
: with Stateful Packet Inspection, so theoretically I should be fairly well
: protected, but this no doubt relies on me not leaving the doors open.

Any port running whatever service you leave open is theoretically
vulnerable to attacks.  However, some services are more vulnerable to
attacks than others.  Compared to others, SSH is pretty hard to crack.
I wouldn't worry about it.

: What is the best tool to SSH with?  I'm not particularly good with the
: terminal so something with a decent GUI would be best.

If you want to connect to a remote host, using Terminal and typing the
command "ssh remoteuser at remotehost.com" works quite well.

If you want to do file transfers with sftp, try RBrowserLite.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/