[X Newbies] Garage Band

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Wed Apr 28 23:10:48 PDT 2004

On Apr 28, 2004, at 20:12, J wrote:

> But when you look in Computer, I still don't know why the master name
> is there as a folder as well as the short name on the house icon but
> it doesn't seem to be making any trouble so I'm leaving it be.

If this is truly in "Computer", then he renamed "Macintosh HD" to his
name. If it is in Macintosh HD:Users, he renamed his home folder. Since
the system believes his home folder should really be called
'his-shortname', it promptly recreated a folder called 'his-shortname'.
This would also explain the iTunes music folder 'disappearing'.
Your user will likely continue to be confiused about where his files
are (home (shortname), or not-really-home (fullname). You really need
to do one of two things: Either change the user's shortname following
the kbase-article-from-hell, or educate him - he is NEVER to rename
that folder. Perhaps a finder-label of "red" may help?

Better to get him straightened out now, rather than April 14th 2005.
(The day before federal taxes are due in the US, for those listers
outside the US).

--
Scott