[X-Newbies] Re: airtunes + speakers

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Dec 5 22:09:50 PST 2004

> From: John Park <JP at johnparkcomedy.com>
> two questions:
>
> I've got a G4 about 500mghz.   I don't think it came with airport
> installed, which is what I assume I need to make airtunes work.
>
> When I buy airtunes will it come with airport or do I need to buy
> airport card or something else extra?

AirTunes is part of the Airport Express mini-base station. You will
need to have that item before you can use AirTunes. A regular base
station won't do it (though I think Apple is phasing out the "regular"
ABS in favour of new models that incorporate AirTunes).

> Also, I'm curious to know what kind of powered speakers people might be
> using with airtunes?
> I won't be hooking it up to my stereo system , just want to get a
> powered speaker or something of the like.

Airtunes isn't set up for that. It requires an amplifier of some sort.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org