[X-Newbies] Problems after re-install of OS

John McGibney ncicchek at optonline.net
Mon Dec 20 15:44:30 PST 2004

> Hi all,
>
> I've been having problems lately with OS 10.3.6. (Apps not allowing me
> to quit them. Computer refusing to Restart or Shutdown, Finder often
> freezing.) So this morning I did an Archive and install of the OS.
> After doing so I tried to run Software update but most of the updates
> wouldn't work. I'd get a message saying Software update couldn't
> connect to the server in order to download the updates. This wouldn't
> be for all of them, iChat updated fine, some security updates worked
> some didn't. I had 6 updates that no matter what I did  wouldn't
> connect to the server. So I switched to another user account and the
> updates ran fine. Now I'm a little worried because I re-installed my OS
> to get rid of problems and somehow seem to have picked up others. Does
> anyone have any ideas what could have caused the updates not to
> download? My internet connection was working fine at the time.

Sounds like a bad preference file or bad permissions. Try restarting from
the installer CD. Select disc utilities from the menu. Run both repair drive
and repair permissions.

Also go to versiontracker.com. There are several apps to check preference
files. Choose one and try it out.

Also try upgrading to 10.3.7 which came out a few days ago. Seems to fix
quite a few small bugs and slowdowns.

> Also, this is my first time re-installing OSX, what files from
> "previous system" should I be moving over to my new system?

Nothing all necessary files were installed by the installer. It copies
personal apps and the necessary support files automatically.

John

--
Arrive alive, hang up & drive!