[X-Newbies] Panic kernal attack???

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 29 10:24:36 PST 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 10:35 AM, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> At 11:33 AM -0500 12/29/04, Birgit Rhoads wrote:
>> 3. Per instructions on the screen type "fsck -f" and hit return. If
>> any fixes are made to your directory, retype "fsck -f" until you get
>> a clean bill of health or you have done it five times, whichever
>> comes first.
>
> It would seem more fitting to perform the operation until you have a
> clean bill of health. . . .

Maybe its a precaution to keep from getting stuck in the "shampoo loop"
  (lather, rinse, repeat . . . ; )

But seriously, I can't remember having to do it more than 2 or 3 times,
except in cases where the disk was hosed and it would never report
"OK". I suspect that if you get to 5 or much beyond, you've got a
problem that fsck can't fix. I probably would go for 10 or 20 though.

But more to the point of the original advice:  there's no magic number
of times to run it. You run fsck until it its happy. If fsck is not
happy, you're hosed (unless Disk Warrior can make it happy). Booting up
a system that won't pass fsck is just asking for trouble. Do not just
run fsck 5 times and then boot up without getting a volume OK from
fsck.

SR