[X Newbies] Trouble starting up Classic mode

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 6 14:08:54 PST 2004

>> I meant it's odd since I've had OSX and Classic ticking along so
>> nicely for about a year now. Then suddenly this inconvenience >> appears.
>
> If you used the same setup before without problems, then you need to
> (a) check for possible corruption or damaged files, or (b) look for
> any changes in your arrangements. Added any new fonts lately? New
> hardware? Installed some new Classic app? etc.

I've been searching my memory for answer to Question b and the answer s
always no, no, no, and no.

As for Question a) I don't really know how to search for corrupted
files.   I've had 'em before but the app. software always sussed it out
for me. And I usually wound up tossing a preferences file.  Any help on
how to find a corrupted file ab initio would be appreciated.

One thing that might have a bearing here.... I did create a new
identity in OSX recently so I could have a second e-mail account for my
business.  I didn't do anything unusual.... used the Wizard to set it
up.   But I did notice that when I switch identities I get a alert
window that OSX can't access some unknown drive. It allows me to
proceed by clicking on "Ignore" .  Now I don't know what it is looking
for as it does seem to recognize all the drives that are there.   But
it does suggest some sort of corruption somewhere. IS this a useful
clue?

Thanks,
John