[X Newbies] Trouble starting up Classic mode

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Feb 6 14:17:25 PST 2004

On Feb 6, 2004, at 3:01 PM, John Erdman wrote:

> I meant it's odd since I've had OSX and Classic ticking along so
> nicely for about a year now. Then suddenly this inconvenience appears.
> You're right... I know how to trouble shoot the extensions, I was just
> hoping that some else had seen this.  Thanks for the tip on starting
> with the hardware controlers.

To help narrow things down a bit more, IIRC things get loaded in the
following order
	The stuff that's "loose" in the System Folder (or is that last? not
sure off the top of my head).
	The stuff in the Extensions folder
	The stuff in the Control Panels folder
And unless you've done something to tell the system different, they
will load in alphabetical order (extensions a-z, then control panels
a-z).

The reason I mention this is that you stated it hung just before it
finished. That tells me it probably got all the way through the
Extensions folder and hung somewhere near the end of the Control Panels
folder. The other thing to note if you have the whole startup window
showing, is which icon was the last one? Can you tell what it
corresponds to and work from there? Keep in mind not all extensions
display an icon when loading.

Hope that helps narrow it down.

-Mike