[X Newbies] New X user can't keep preference selections

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Feb 9 11:29:25 PST 2004

rbgeiger at optonline.net said:

>I thought of that myself, but wouldn't the rest of the system preferences
>like clock time be lost (which it isn't) and default to 1956 or whatever
>OS X defaults to for a weak battery.

No, actually a range of things can happen, from total inability to
startup, to just a few settings being off.  I can't tell you why there is
this varibility.

The PRAM battery typically gives out after about 3 to 5 years.  But it
can give up a lot earlier, or later.

The PRAM battery is a small cylindrical lithium battery that looks like a
short AA battery.  In fact it is colloquially called a "1/2 AA."  It is
located on the motherboard and it snaps in and out just like a AA battery
in a toy.  Yours is probably a light purple and black.

Tadiran # TL5101 Lithium Battery
3.6 Volts. 0.97" long x 0.56" diameter.

You can test the PRAM battery with:

Pram Battery Checker
http://www.polar-orbit.com/

But if your PRAM battery is over 3 years old, I would just replace it.

Other World Computing is a good source for PRAM batteries.
they stock them for $6 and while their prices aren't the lowest, their
shipping usually is:
http://eshop.macsales.com/

$6
http://eshop.macsales.com/AddToBasket.cfm?ID=2524&Item=OWCMAC36V

You can also get one (for a bit more money) at a Radio Shack.
$13.59
Catalog #: 23-026
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=23%2
D026

You can download a shop manual that will show you how to slide out your
iMac's motherboard to do the replacement, from:

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html
(Unfortunately it is a very slow download.  I recommend using an FTP
program, like Interarchy, to download the manual.)

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html