[X Newbies] Help: 2nd E-Mail Account in mac.mail.com

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri Feb 13 06:04:39 PST 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, at 5:44 AM, Albert D'Amanda wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2004, at 4:51 PM, birgit rhoads wrote:
>
>> Albert, I am confused (not unusual).  Is the second e-mail account
>> another .mac account other than your own?  If not, you have to enter
>> the name of your POP server for send and receive.  .Mac is just for
>> your .Mac account.  Birgit
>
> Using Mail Preferences and Accounts, I successfully setup my primary
> e-mail account
>
> Using Mail Preferences -Accounts; I generated  a second e-mail account
>  with a new address and new password but using  the SAME Server
> mac.mail.com
>
> I now have installed two separate e-mail accounts ( ?) , using mac
> Mail Application with the ONE server , mac.mail.com
>
> The second e-mail account does list in the In Mailbox Panel.
>
> The problem:
>
> When I try to send mail to the address in the second account, I get an
> error graphic telling me that the second e-mail account does not
> recognize my assigned password and to type in the password.. I then
> type in the assigned password but the same error graphic displays
>
> Is this telling me that with the Mac Mail Application I cannot use two
> different e-mail addresses  using the SAME Mac Mail Server?

You can. I do. However, this particular bit may be the problem:

> Using Mail Preferences -Accounts; I generated  a second e-mail account
>  with a new address and new password but using  the SAME Server
> mac.mail.com

You cannot 'generate' an account in mail prefs. You can only enter the
acct name and pwd for a pre-existing account. Did you sign up for
address-number-two at mac.com on  the mac.com web site? Think of it like
online banking - you can enter as many account numbers as you like, but
until you *open* an account, you ain't getting any cash.

If it worked as you describe, I could just enter "stevejobs at mac.com" in
mail prefs. Come to think of it, just for kicks, I might also grab
"president at whitehouse.gov" .

To setup a second mail account :
1. Order it, or otherwise sign up for it with the service provider
(mac.com, or yourisp.com, or free-email-if-you-signup-for-spam.com )
2. Enter the username / password / server addresses in
Mail-->Preferences.

Apologies if you knew this already. I'm addressing what I see in your
post, and also assuming a certain level of newbieness, given the forum.

--
Scott
Helpdesk guy / Meister Geek / S******d! / Moron / "Only person to ever