[X Newbies] External hard drive problem

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Feb 26 12:53:06 PST 2004

On Thursday, Feb 26, 2004, at 09:06 Canada/Eastern, Mike Gantz wrote:

> I have a usb, BUSlink, external, hard drive. I would need to boot into
> mac os 9.2 for the computer to see the drive. In mac os 10 the
> computer wouldn’t see the drive. There are no drivers for mac os 10.
> On my new emac there isn’t an option to boot into mac os 9.2. Can I
> reformat the hard drive so mac os 10 can see the drive?

Unless the Buslink USB interface has some special requirements, you
shouldn't need a special OS X driver to access the drive -- the kernel
has pretty extensive USB support. Turn on your Mac, turn on your drive,
and connect it directly to the Mac (not through a hub; many ext'l USB
drives don't work properly if connected through hubs). If no volume
appears on your desktop (and if Finder is set to display hard disks on
the desktop), launch Disk Utility and format the drive. If it doesn't
appear in Disk Utility, launch Apple System Profiler, and check what it
reports under Devices and Volumes -> USB Information.