[X Newbies] SPAM Messages

blu blu at bludragon.net
Sun Jan 4 13:09:12 PST 2004

I believe people were obediently replying to the SpamSlam request
they received, which unfortunately replied to the list rather than to
the individual email address.  The instructions said NOT to edit the
message, and that is what they were doing.

The moral of this story is to read messages carefully, and, when you
reply to a message on a list, make sure you change the TO:  header if
you dont want it to go to everyone on the list.  Both the sender and
recipient have a responsibility to the list to understand what
happens when messages are posted.

The SpamSlam message came from a list member; that is the address
that should have been replied to, not the whole list. [of course,
that would not have solved the SpamSlam problem that the member had,
but it WOULD have avoided all the messages to the list]

I hope this helps, and also hope the SPAM issue has waned.

blu <--- who tries to always edit replies, and delete footers,
especially all the ads... ;-)