[X Newbies] SPAM Messages

leigh lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 4 13:22:30 PST 2004

On Jan 4, 2004, at 1:09 PM, blu wrote:

> I believe people were obediently replying to the SpamSlam request they
> received, which unfortunately replied to the list rather than to the
> individual email address.  The instructions said NOT to edit the
> message, and that is what they were doing.

The instructions also included the name of the message, as being the
Digest ... Did any individual listmember send the Digest? No.
Therefore, there was no reason for ANY listmember to reply.

> The moral of this story is to read messages carefully, and, when you
> reply to a message on a list, make sure you change the TO:  header if
> you dont want it to go to everyone on the list.  Both the sender and
> recipient have a responsibility to the list to understand what happens
> when messages are posted.

The other moral of the story is to setup stuff like SpamWhatever to
exclude mailing lists.

(And while I'm at it, that goes for vacation announcements too -- those
shouldn't be sent to mailing lists either.)

Please don't get me started on cross-posting. ;o)