[X Newbies] Disk Utility

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Sat Jan 17 16:12:47 PST 2004

On Jan 17, 2004, at 4:08 PM, J wrote:

> Ok and what about not finding disk utility.???

Particularly for a newbie, I'd recommend having them boot from the CD
and running it from there. I know you can run Repair Permissions on the
boot disk, but I don't think you can run the disk repair utility on the
boot drive.

It sounds like the problem is that Appleworks isn't able to open the
file? If you can't start Appleworks, do a File->Open and open the file
that way, I'd say there is a problem with the file in question. One
other technique that may be of help is if you hold down the command and
option keys while you drag the file over the Appleworks icon in the
dock, it will "force" Appleworks to try and open it. That technique
works to "force" any application to try to open any file, but the
results can anything from no response, to a polite error message to
garbage.

-Mike