[X Newbies] Disk Utility/RESOLVED [TID]

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Wed Jan 21 07:31:36 PST 2004

On Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004, at 23:50 Canada/Eastern, J wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 20, 2004, at 11:46  PM, J wrote:
>
>>> Read again what I wrote. Was AppleWorks greyed out _even_ with the
>>> Show All Applications option?
>
> YES.

If that is correct, then you have a problem. When the OS is correctly
installed, you can assign any document to virtually any application,
whether the name is enclosed in quotes or not.

> I just posted about 3 times today that I resolved it by removing the
> quotes around the file name. Then there was no need to do a manual
> association...

These are two different issues; under OS X there is more than one
mechanism of linking files to applications. You stated earlier

>> with the "" around the title, it would NOT LET you choose AppleWorks
>> even though it was a .cwk file.. I saw that part myself.

If that is correct, and it's not an issue of forgetting to choose Show
All Applications, then there is a problem. Probably not a big one, but
problems usually don't go away by themselves. I don't about you, but,
as a consultant, I am not happy if I have to leave a client with an
problem unsolved.