[X Newbies] Disk Utility/RESOLVED [TID]

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 08:33:48 PST 2004

On Wednesday, January 21, 2004, at 10:31  AM, Alex wrote:

> If that is correct, then you have a problem. When the OS is correctly
> installed, you can assign any document to virtually any application,
> whether the name is enclosed in quotes or not.

Not true. As soon as the quotes were removed, the file became an AW
file complete with icon. Without it, the file stayed white and the
application would not let you choose it, it stayed greyed out. TRY IT!
I saw it with my own eyes.

>> I just posted about 3 times today that I resolved it by removing the
>> quotes around the file name. Then there was no need to do a manual
>> association...
>
> These are two different issues; under OS X there is more than one
> mechanism of linking files to applications.

Yes and I tried them all. Not only over the phone but I did myself when
I got there....they would neither drag over the icon, nor open with,
nor get info, nor by contextual menu.....

>>> with the "" around the title, it would NOT LET you choose AppleWorks
>>> even though it was a .cwk file.. I saw that part myself.
>
> If that is correct, and it's not an issue of forgetting to choose Show
> All Applications, then there is a problem. Probably not a big one, but
> problems usually don't go away by themselves. I don't about you, but,
> as a consultant, I am not happy if I have to leave a client with an
> problem unsolved.

Why is it that after posting at least 4 times that the problem IS
indeed solved you don't believe me? Try it yourself. Create a file from
AW and name it like this:

"somefile-2.cwk" (include the quotes)

Mail it to yourself then try to open it with clicking and choosing the
application.
Tell me what happens.

I left the client with both problems completely solved...