Linking Files to Applications [Was: Disk Utility/RESOLVED [TID]]

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Wed Jan 21 09:51:27 PST 2004

On Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004, at 11:33 Canada/Eastern, J wrote:

>> These are two different issues; under OS X there is more than one
>> mechanism of linking files to applications.
>
> Yes and I tried them all. Not only over the phone but I did myself
> when I got there....they would neither drag over the icon, nor open
> with, nor get info, nor by contextual menu.....

There's some misunderstanding here. You're talking opening files. I'm
talking _linking_ files to applications.

Here's how it works under OS X.

When a user double-clicks on a document, Finder uses the following info
to determine what to do: (a) type and creator codes, (b) filename
extension, (c) user choice.

(a) is the traditional Mac way; if you're a consultant and an OS 9 fan
(as you appear to be), then you're thoroughly familiar with them. For
Mac newbies (as opposed to OS X newbies), type and creator codes are
four-character codes used by the Mac OS to determine the type of a file
and the application owning it. Although it's a more advanced method
than the file name extension, the Mac OS is moving away from it,
because, as the rest of the world shows no sign of adapting the Mac,
the Mac needs to adapt to the rest of the world. Nevertheless, Apple
still recommends their use, chiefly for compatibility with the Classic
environment. In normal use, these codes are invisible to the user, but
they can be manipulated with such utilities as SuperGetInfo or
FileBuddy, etc.

(b) is the method used by ROW (the rest of the world) and, under X, by
Mac OS. The file name extension consists in the the characters to the
right of the last period in the file name. In your case it didn't work
for obvious reasons. When the file named

something.cwk

was renamed to "something.cwk", the file name extension was changed from

.cwk

.cwk"

The Finder didn't know what to do with it because it didn't have any
application registered to open files with this file name extension.

(c) The user choice is set using Get Info > Open With in Finder. In
this manner, you can link any document to any application irrespective
of its type/creator codes or file name extension. Finder will show you
what is the default choice (the application owning the file through its
creator code, or registered to handle that extension), recommended
applications (if you choose Other... from the drop-down menu), or all
applications (if you choose the Show: All Applications option).

The order in which Finder does all this is: user choice for this
particular file > user choice for all files similar to this one >
default app for this type of file or extension > app which claims this
type of file or extension; native or newer apps are always preferred
over Classic or older apps.

Now you see what I meant. When you double-clicked

"something.cwk"

Finder should have told you it had no app registered to handle this
kind of file, and offered you a dialogue to choose an application to
open it (and, by default, go straight to the Applications folder). If
AppleWorks was greyed out, you should have chosen Show All
Applications, then it should have become available. If it didn't, there
was a problem with the system. Alternatively, if you did a Get Info >
Open With > etc., and again, AppleWorks was still greyed out even with
the Show All Apps option, then there was a problem.