[X Newbies] Linking Files to Applications [Was: Disk Utility/RESOLVED [TID]]

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Jan 23 07:18:11 PST 2004

On Friday, Jan 23, 2004, at 10:09 Canada/Eastern, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> At 9:30 AM -0500 1/23/04, Alex wrote:
>> However, the point I'm trying to make (I suggest reading my post
>> again) is that this is not relevant to _assigning a document to an
>> application using the Get Info dialogue_!
>
> But J's real point was that "_assigning a document to an application
> using the Get Info dialogue_" was irrelevant to solution of the
> problem. The academic issue of assignment was doing her no good *at
> the client*. All else is insignificant in that situation.

Vincent, I urge you to re-read the posts in the thread before replying.
I didn't suggest this was a solution to J's problem. J said she tried
this, and it didn't work. That is, she tried to assign a file with the
extension .cwk" to AppleWorks, and the system didn't allow her to do
it. I pointed out that, on a properly installed OS X, it should have
worked. If it didn't work, then either (a) J didn't do it properly, or
(b) there's a problem with the system. Since J apparently didn't
understand what I was talking about, I posted a lengthy description of
linking documents to applications in OS X. Apparently, it wasn't an
entirely wasted effort, since at least one other subscriber understood.