[X Newbies] expired MS office trial

Bruce Klutchko klutch at erols.com
Sat Jan 24 06:40:23 PST 2004

On 1/24/04 1:52 AM, "Charles Martin" <chasm at mac.com> wrote:
> I coulda SWORN this was a feature of 10.2 and not just 10.3, but I
> can't remember now so I'll stand corrected. Thanks.
>
> PS. Even so, Appleworks 6 -- which CAN read and write Word docs under
> 10.2 and earlier -- came on most if not all consumer Macs, so she could
> use that if it's on her machine.
> _Chas_

I'm sure about TextEdit. However, you are missing one point about
AppleWorks: people like me who have OLD iMacs (a 350MHz blueberry slot
files, but not some newer ones.

Good news is, with lots of memory, this old iMac works *fine* with OS X
10.3.2 Panther. I had to get Office X for work, but I understand why people
want to avoid it. One big issue with Office X is that it is *not* a Cocoa
app but a poor Carbon version, so it does not allow Services in OS X. That
is a real limitation when you get used to using a large number of services
in X.

I think that people who rarely need Office would do well to keep their old
Classic version of office just for compatibility purposes and use AW,
Mariner, Nisus, etc.
--
Bruce