[X Newbies] Alternatives to Word/MS Office

Mark Gillingham markgill at uwalumni.com
Sat Jan 24 08:00:41 PST 2004

On Saturday, January 24, 2004, at 04:17 AM, marina wrote:

> 1. Where can I purchase a CD distribution of OOo for Mac?
> I have spent quite some time checking the links from
> <http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/>, but it looks like those
> (few) links that work, and do point to OOo-related sites, only offer
> Unix/Linux/Windoz versions. Or well, if the answer is there... I
> haven't been able to find it yet.

I cannot vouch for this vendor:
http://www.hens-teeth.net/html/ooo/index.htm

> 2. Will I be able to copy and paste seamlessly from OOo/X11 (or
> Classic apps) to native OS X applications, and vice versa?

You will have to learn "new" ways to cut&paste and a 3-button mouse
helps (I use a 2-button mouse with a roller that doubles as the middle
button--It's an X-Window thing). In addition, long passages are not
easily copied because the X-Window clipboard is much smaller than the
Aqua one that we are used to. It's something that may not bother you or
may drive you crazy. It may also get better in time. I hope so.

Mark