[X Newbies] expired MS office trial

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Sat Jan 24 07:56:48 PST 2004

On Saturday, Jan 24, 2004, at 09:40 Canada/Eastern, Bruce Klutchko
wrote:

> I had to get Office X for work, but I understand why people
> want to avoid it. One big issue with Office X is that it is *not* a
> Cocoa
> app but a poor Carbon version

Office is Carbon, but so are BBEdit, all major Adobe apps, Apple's
FileMaker Pro (AppleWorks too, isn't it?) -- virtually all major apps
not written specifically for OS X. Is it a "poor" version? I disagree
(of course, de gustibus...). It's not the best thing since sliced
bread, but neither is it the Edsel.

> so it does not allow Services in OS X. That is a real limitation when
> you get used to using a large number of services in X.

The fallacy of cum hoc, propter hoc. Carbonized apps can offer and
access OS X services (e.g., BBEdit, FileMaker). But it's considerably
more difficult to implement than in Cocoa, which is why most of them
(including, if I'm not mistaken, AppleWorks) don't.

It seems to me that much of the anti-Word feeling is based on the
superstition that anything Microsoft is bad. In fact, they've done a
much better job with Office X than I expected, and Word is powerful and
flexible word processor. If you have sophisticated word-processing
needs, everything considered (including the price for the
Teacher/Student version) I don't see how you can do better on the Mac
than Word. Does this mean it's perfect? Hardly, but neither are
InDesign, Photoshop, etc. A major flaw in Word is lack of support for
international features (e.g., Unicode input) and OpenType, but some of
the alternatives to Word have the same problem.

My favourite word processor (I don't think it's been mentioned so far)
is Mellel <http://www.redlers.com/>, which offers what Word doesn't at
a reasonable price (I strongly recommend it if you need to deal with
languages such as Romanian, Croatian, Hebrew, Arabic, Farsi, etc.), but
I wouldn't qualify my word-processing needs as sophisticated...

In October, Randy Singer posted a number of very pertinent comments on
Word on the Mac OS X for Users list -- I suggest consulting the
respective archives.