[X Newbies] expired MS office trial

Bruce Klutchko klutch at erols.com
Sat Jan 24 20:53:18 PST 2004

On 1/24/04 6:44 PM, "Alex" <alist at sprint.ca> wrote:

> On Saturday, Jan 24, 2004, at 14:48 Canada/Eastern, Bruce Klutchko
> wrote:
>
>> [...] OS X has been out for quite some time and Office X still
>>  does not allow using services.
>
> For "Office X" subsitute AppleWorks, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator,
> etc....
Adobe is not Microsoft. AppleWorks is not supposed to be Office - just a
home suite.

>> Given the resources of Microsoft, it is sad that the Mac cannot get a
>> suite
>> of applications from them written in a truly native development system.
>
> Sure. And, for "Microsoft", also substitute Adobe, Apple... That's how
> the cookie crumbles, I'm afraid. Basically, when only part of a 5%
> market uses a technology, there's no incentive to invest in a complete
> rewriting of a major application.

Perhaps that's the reason.

>Since you're apparently using Nisus
> Writer Express, perhaps you can acquaint us with its history and how
> difficult Nisus found porting its app to Cocoa -- so difficult, in
> fact, that it gave up and bough Okito Composer, instead...

I don't use Nisus Write Express. I use the FREE Nisus Thesaurus, a great
thesaurus program that is used as a service. I write simple things in
TextEdit and complex documents in Word X.

Bruce