Alternatives to Word/MS Office

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Jan 24 23:15:19 PST 2004

> From: marina <marina at reliance.it>
> I am quite happy with the old ClarisWorks/AppleWorks spreadsheet, and
> assuming the new version is not worse, I don't think I'll ever need
> the fanciest features Excel seem to offer.

And as far as I can tell, when it comes to basic spreadsheets
AppleWorks' ability to save in Excel format works flawlessly. I've
never had a single problem.

You'd probably LOVE Keynote then. Check out www.apple.com/keynote

> , and I never heard of
> Entourage - which makes me think I won't miss it.

It's an email/PIM/calendar app -- it's really one of the best things MS
has ever produced for the Mac to be quite honest, but the combination
of Mail/iCal/Address Book/iSync beats it (just) IMHO.

> In general, by the time my (wp) files are complex enough to require
> perfect translation into Word files, I am hoping I'll be able to
> simply save as PDF, and share this format with Windoz users. And I
> understand AppleWorks saves as PDF from the print preview - is this
> correct?

Actually, in Mac OS X *all* applications that can print can create PDFs.

_Chas_

Mnemonic of the Year: ABBA -- Anybody But Bush Again.
http://www.abbaparty.com