[X Newbies] which multifunction inkjet printer

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Tue Jan 27 15:55:00 PST 2004

At 3:08 PM -0600 1/27/04, Vard Nelson wrote:
>Just a general note of observation:  When you watch the lists, there always
>seem to be a LOT of questions and problems concerning Epson products, and
>very few concerning HP.  My experience (many years) with HP is that their
>products are usually either the best or almost the best technically and
>their support and reliability are excellent.  (I have a LaserJet IV P
>purchased in 1993 that still works perfectly, and a Color Inkjet CP1700 that
>I spilled ink in and the warranty support was flawless, enthusiastic and
>willing.)
>
>We bought an HP all-in-one (exclusive of faxing) at Sam's for $89.00 just
>before Christmas (a gift) that seems to be quite nice.
>
>HP seems to work well with both my PC and Macs -- they seem to take
>seriously the job if keeping drivers up to date.  Did have an Epson that I
>used with OS 8 that worked okay most of the time, but was much more
>tempermental, both hardware and drivers, than my HP experiences.

My experience is the opposite of the above on almost all accounts.

I concur that years ago HP's build quality and attention to the
availability of drivers was excellent. I find however that current
product, especially multifunction units, ink jet printers and
scanners suffer from cheap quality and a lamentable tardiness in
bringing adequate drivers to market.

I also see the opposite in my impression of the lists to which I
subscribe. Of twelve Mac-specific and five
graphics/printing-specific, I get the impression (for printing) that
Brother, Canon and Epson support is good to excellent, HP's is
atrocious and that Epson gives excellent output at the expense of
clogging on some models in some environments. I also get the
impression that Epson gives excellent value in their scanners but are
sometimes slow to add support for older scanning and multifunction
devices.

I continue to be comfortable with most HP network Postscript printers
especially since it is now of little consequence that even they now
use Postscript emulation. But I've experienced better durability and
compatibility with Brother products currently. I've no experience or
impression of Epson laser printing.

Up to three years ago I gave advice as follows:
    "Use Epson ink jet tech for best results, Canon ink jets for best
non-art-critical value, use HP lasers and avoid Lexmark."

Now, I'll say:
    "Use Epson or Canon ink jet tech for best results, Canon or Epson
Durabrite-ink ink jets for best non-art-critical value, Brother
personal lasers, HP network lasers and avoid Lexmark, and avoid HP
ink jets."

None of my comments pertain to colour lasers, CAD output or high-end
non-art printing.
--
You! Get me some tea. Then throw it out and get me some coffee. I hate tea!
  - Johnny Bravo