Syncing a PowerBook to an iMac?

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Sat Jan 31 12:00:39 PST 2004

>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:24:26 -0800
>From: "Robert (Bob) P Andris" <bobandris at comcast.net>
>Subject: [X Newbies]
>
>I'm about to get a PowerBook with the AirPort card in it.  I already
>have a 17" iMac with the AirPort card in it too.  I use Safari for
>the browser and Eudora for email.  Has anyone gone through growing
>pains for syncing two together so I could update "telecom" files from
>one to the other without just using my USB JumpDrive.
>
>Many Thanks,
>              Bob

Use Firewire target mode. Reboot the new machine holding down the T
key, and it becomes a giant firewire hard drive. Cable it to the
firewire port of the old mac and it will mount on the desktop. Use
Carbon Copy cloner to copy your user folder over. You may also want
to move parts of the library. You can also copy over some
applications, or clone the apps folder. You may have to reinstall
several of them.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html