Backup Question

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Jul 16 09:29:44 PDT 2004

> From: matblack at mac.com
>> I figured I'd reinstall using original system disks if a problem, then
>> restore all backup files from Dantz Retrospect, which came with my
>> drive and I've been using without problems.
> Does Dantz not give you a "make bootable" option?

It didn't the last time I looked at it. Retrospect compresses its data,
making booting impossible.

> The drawback to this these days is that even with Panther I had about
> an hour of updates to install... which of course did not execute
> properly so had to be repeated... and the Carbon Copy is only $20 or
> something...

Last I looked, CCC was donationware (suggested donation $10).

This is why CCC, for me, beats out Retrospect -- there's no
compression, all your updates and everything are still in place because
CCC produces a clone of your bootable HD.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org