Backup Question

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jul 15 16:11:26 PDT 2004

> From: Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net>
> Hi - a bit of a related question. You do have to have a bootable drive
> to make the
> backup bootable, right?

Under OS X, any IDE or FW hard drive is bootable. USB 2.0 as well,
IIRC, and I can't remember about USB 1.1.

CCC has a checkbox where you specify that you'd like the clone to be
bootable. This does nothing to the drive -- the only difference is that
it copies the invisible non-writable files that OS X needs to boot.

I'm not dissing Retrospect here -- it's a fine product that works for
many. I'm just saying that if you'd like a FAST recovery from a crashed
HD, nothing is faster than having a bootable, exact clone of your
entire HD sitting on an external hard drive ready to go.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org