[X Newbies] Wi-Fi SMTP

Jane TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 27 20:06:18 PDT 2004

On Jul 27, 2004, at 10:17 PM, Norman Cohen wrote:

> In your mail account preferences, which smtp server is listed?

COMCAST cable except for the mac.com address.

>  To find this information, assuming you are using Mail.app, choose
> Preferences under the Mail menu. Select your account in the account
> list. Under "outgoing mail server (SMTP)," what is the name of your
> server? I ask this because your e-mail address is in the earthlink
> domain. That usually implies that you are using earthlink's smtp
> server, since many smtp servers to not let one send e-mail if the
> e-mail address is not within the ISP's domain. So even if you are
> hooked up to the internet through comcast (or adelphia), when you send
> an e-mail with an earthlink.net e-mail address (e.g.
> jane at earthlink.net), you won't use comcast's smtp server, because it
> will refuse to send your message, you will use earthlink's smtp
> server. Now earthlink won't accept the mail unless you send it to the
> address listed in the link I sent you in my last message. It will only
> accept e-mail at the standard smtp server if you are connected through
> their network (earthlink dial-up or earthlink dsl).

No, each account uses Comcast's smtp. But the wi-fi setup has cable via
Adelphia I think...but maybe not. It just feels superfast. It was set
up by the radio station, I just saw it and opened up my Ti and used it.
I actually had brought the Ti in for sound FX.

> To send authenticated mail through a comcast account, see this page:
>
> <http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.jsp?
> name=17798&cat=Email&subcategory=Mail%20(Mac)>
>
> Note these instructions will only work if you are sending mail using a
> comcast.com address!

But the problem is not that, it's what to use with these other
networks. I would have to know their ISP service name and smtp verbiage
I guess.

> One other option for you is to enable your postfix mail agent and set
> up your own e-mail delivery system on your roaming computer. The
> advantage is that you can send mail from just about anywhere and not
> worry about authentication. The downside is that some recipient mail
> systems refuse mail from a server that isn't registered. This is  a
> bit above what should be discussed on a Newbies list, so I won't go
> into any further details. Just letting you know that it is possible.

Yes I know it is...I use the server all the time but not for email,
just to present php. :-)