[X Newbies] Printing a list of items

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Jun 1 06:26:56 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Jun 1, 2004, at 04:37 Canada/Eastern, Gen Hadlow Mac Impact
Dbn wrote:

>  [...] I don¹t have BBEdit - not sure what its used for, is it a
> freeWare?

BBEdit is most definitely not freeware -- it's one of the most powerful
and versatile GUI text editors available on either Mac or Win, and it
comes with a price tag to match.

BBEdit Lite is freeware, but it is no longer developed or supported
<http://www.barebones.com/products/bblite/index.shtml>. The last
version, 6.1.2, works just fine with Jaguar, but I don't know if it's
been tested in Panther. Otherwise, I strongly recommend it.

As to the original question, "How does one print a list of the contents
of a folder in system X", the simplest is copy and paste. Open the
folder in list view, open all enclosed folders (if any) -- opt-right
arrow -- select all, copy, then paste in the target application (e.g.,
TextEdit).

Alternative solutions are to use a text editor with this function, such
as BBEdit Lite, or a disk cataloguer, such as CDFinder. The utility you
are using to burn your CDs may offer its own options. And, if you feel
adventurous, you can sample the thrills of Terminal:

$ls [path] > ~/Documents/file_list.txt<return>

($ stands for your prompt -- you don't type it, <return> for the Return
or Enter key, and [path] for the path to the item -- folder, CD -- you
want to list. You don't have to type the path, just drag-and-drop the
item to Terminal and its path will be inserted automatically.)  This
will create a text file with your list in your Documents folder. You
can modify the list with various options of the ls command (man ls in
Terminal for details).

<0x0192>