[X Newbies] Printing a list of items

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Jun 1 12:22:47 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Jun 1, 2004, at 14:00 Canada/Eastern, VS wrote:

>  [...] when I copy everything in a listed folder like this and paste
> it the items get pasted in no specific order. It's not alphabetical,
> not reverse alphabetical, not creation time or any other known order,
> just random. [...]

Believe or not, it's a feature, not a bug... well, actually it's a
turkey (design flaw). The order isn't random, but it's not anything
useful to you. There's a partial work-around: switch to Column view
before copying. The pasted list will be sorted by item name. It's
partial, because this way you don't get a recursive listing.

> So it's not useful at all for me, sadly.

If you need this, use another solution -- such as ls.

<0x0192>