[X Newbies] Laser Printer Deal That I Found

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Jun 22 13:00:49 PDT 2004

On Monday, Jun 21, 2004, at 23:56 Canada/Eastern, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> Are there currently *any* consumer printers that license the "genuine"
> article? Is it relevant any more?

The operative word is "consumer". At the higher end, there's most
definitely an issue -- go to any DTP list and you're likely to hear
about plenty of problems caused by CloneScripts. At the lower end,
you're probably right, it's not really relevant. I set up a client with
a Samsung ML-1210 (probably the cheapest, lowest-end laser printer
around, which uses the GDI printing language -- probably the cheapest,
lowest-end language around), added ESP Ghostscript and a foomatic
filter -- both free -- and it prints PostScript like a charm. In fact,
it prints faster when emulating PostScript then when using its native
Samsung GDI driver!

<0x0192>