Strange keyboard behavior(s) on iMac

Richard Bienvenu BienvenuR at missouri.edu
Wed Jun 23 07:03:36 PDT 2004

I recently had to replace the original (black) keyboard that came
with my iMac, but something is amiss: I thought that the new keyboard
(from Apple)  worked properly until I discovered that the sound
control keys (top row, at the right) do not work, _nor_ can the
right-hand option key on this new keyboard give one accents such as
the umlaut. Oddly, the left option key can do this.

Here's where it gets even odder: that same new keyboard works
perfectly on my eMac. I tried out two other keyboards that I knew to
be in working order, but on the iMac these two would give me keyboard
control of the sound level OR a working right-hand option key, but
not both.

This suggests that something has happened to innards of the
iMac--either hardware (?) or to the OS X.2 that is running on the
machine. A saleskid (undergraduate) at my campus store suggested that
I might want to bring the machine in to have it checked by one of
their Apple-certified technicians.

Before I go to the trouble--and the expense--of taking the iMac in
for service I'd like to know if anyone can suggest other things to
try. I have restarted the iMac, but that didn't help. I switched the
keyboard cable to the other USB port, with the same negative results.
Re-installing OS X.2 might do the trick, but that's not entirely
without risk, or am I wrong?

Thanks,

Richard Bienvenu
Boone County, Mo.