[X Newbies] edit mp3

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Mar 23 15:02:23 PST 2004

On Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004, at 13:57 Canada/Eastern, Louis Cornelio wrote:

> sorry, I meant AUDION not audio
>
> <http://www.panic.com/audion/>

I tried Audion some time ago (v3.09, IIRC). Not too bad in terms of
features, but it was crashing with distressing regularity. And since
iTunes offered what I needed, there was little reason to try it further.

> so cool, yes it DOES edit mp3!

I don't know how Audion edits MP3s (perhaps someone who does can
enlighten us), but I suspect it works in a manner analogous to how
Photoshop edits JPEGs. That is, it converts MP3 to an editable format
in RAM or to a temp file, then, after editing, it recompresses it to
MP3. In other words, pretty much what other audio editors do, but in a
manner transparent to the user. And the same problem obtains: with
every open/edit/save, the sound quality deteriorates, because of the
"lossy" nature of MP3 compression. Of course, the extent to which the
deterioration matters depends on the listener's ear, the quality of the
original recording, and the bit rate. Like JPEG, MP3 was designed as a
final delivery medium, not an editable format.