[X Newbies] Crashing of text editor?

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Sun Mar 28 10:19:37 PST 2004

At 12:59 PM -0500 3/28/04, J wrote:
>OS X has been crashing a lot lately even though I run several
>routines. It just fills up and can't take it anymore I guess. Time
>for another RAM stick.....

How much RAM does the machine have? Was it delivered with this RAM installed?

Exactly what is connected to this machine? Please list *all* devices
on *all* ports.

You say: "I run several routines" - What exactly are these "routines"?

How much free space is there on the hard drive/s?

Are there *any* "Norton" products installed on the machine?

What version of the OS are you running?

For that matter, what are the particulars of the machine in question?

Have you, as part of your trouble-shooting:
    1) done a Safe Boot?
    2) run Repair Permissions from the boot disk?
    3) tried use of a "virgin" account?
    4) reset PRAM?

Are you using any "haxies" - 3rd party software that is dependent on
Unsanity's Application Enhancer (APE)?

Are you using a USB hub? If so, which?

Are you using an iSight?

When you say "OS X has been crashing a lot lately", are you referring
to kernel panics, where the entire machine locks up with the
multi-language reboot message? Or are individual applications
freezing? Or some other phenomenon?

Which apps has this happened with?

What trouble-shooting have you done thus far?

Do you have the current Disk Warrior on a bootable CD?
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]