[X Newbies] Crashing of text editor?

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 28 10:29:37 PST 2004

Just to let you know so if you don't want to read this, it seems to be
fixed.
But I will answer your queries below....

On Sunday, March 28, 2004, at 01:19  PM, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> At 12:59 PM -0500 3/28/04, J wrote:
>> OS X has been crashing a lot lately even though I run several
>> routines. It just fills up and can't take it anymore I guess. Time
>> for another RAM stick.....
>
> How much RAM does the machine have? Was it delivered with this RAM
> installed?

Yes, Apple RAM but only 512 MB, and I need 1 GIG so I will put in extra
soon...

> Exactly what is connected to this machine? Please list *all* devices
> on *all* ports.

A printer...740i, which gives me no trouble. Is off.

> You say: "I run several routines" - What exactly are these "routines"?

Daily permissions, weekly, monthly...etc...set up to run automatically.

> How much free space is there on the hard drive/s?

30 GB.

> Are there *any* "Norton" products installed on the machine?

NEVER!!! :-)

> What version of the OS are you running?

10.2.6

> For that matter, what are the particulars of the machine in question?
>
> Have you, as part of your trouble-shooting:
>    1) done a Safe Boot?
>    2) run Repair Permissions from the boot disk?
>    3) tried use of a "virgin" account?
>    4) reset PRAM?

Didn't have to go that far, I trashed prefs and it fixed.

> Are you using any "haxies" - 3rd party software that is dependent on
> Unsanity's Application Enhancer (APE)?

NEVER...

> Are you using a USB hub? If so, which?
> Are you using an iSight?

No and no.

> When you say "OS X has been crashing a lot lately", are you referring
> to kernel panics, where the entire machine locks up with the
> multi-language reboot message?

YES. And with a loud beeping sound that scares the hell out of me when
it happens. Yesterday it did this for no apparent reason, meaning the
OS was just sitting here, with nothing running, reminiscent of what
'doze does.

>  Or are individual applications freezing? Or some other phenomenon?
> Which apps has this happened with?

BBEdit Lite crashed while I was typing in it. It was the only thing
open, so this surprised me. Finally today it would not open at all.
Safari and Mail often quit on me so I try to keep it clear of any saved
messages..

> What trouble-shooting have you done thus far?

Trashing prefs, but often I feel that this is not thorough enough, that
I haven't found all the necessary files to get rid of.

> Do you have the current Disk Warrior on a bootable CD?

No, I think what I have is for OS 9...
I run all my machines in 'spartan mode' so to speak...so this is
disturbing.