Crashing of text editor?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Mar 29 09:48:03 PST 2004

> Subject: [X Newbies] Crashing of text editor?
>
> What on earth would make an app as benign a BBEdit Lite crash just
> while I am typing?

No idea. A memory leak? You found a secret key combo that induces a
quit? A bug in the program? Couldn't say.

> How does one fix BBEdit when it won't open?

One trashes the preference file, and if that doesn't work one trashes
the pref file AND re-installs the app.

> All my coding is done in it and I'll be verily toasted if I can't get
> it to work.
> I don't like the built-in editor because it does funny things with the
> text,  while BBEdit is text only and stays that way.

I assume you are talking about TextEdit. If that's the case, I find it
rather surprising that you didn't know TextEdit can easily be set to
"plain-text" mode via a menu command. You probably have it in "Rich
Text" mode by default.

_Chas_

"George W. Bush is ... the kind of politician who would cut down a tree
and then climb on its stump to give a speech about conservation." --
John Kerry
http://www.johnkerry.com