[X Newbies] OS stability - was Re: [X Newbies] Crashing of text editor?

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Mar 31 00:38:58 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:50:09PM -0600, Steven Rogers wrote:
:
: This is probably no the place to do the MS and anti-trust theory
: discussion one more time. My overall point is that when Mac users
: explain trends like MS vs. Linus or Open Office vs. MS Office, they
: tend to rationalize away the idea that other people could be making a
: well-considered choice for a non-Mac platform.

I agree that other people could be making a choice for a non-Mac
platform.  However, in my experience, I believe few people have the
knowledge and the environment to make a choice that is free and
well-considered.

: These are the same
: people who are often politically and philosophically inclined to say
: "there are no *right* answers; what's right for me may not be right for
: you" - but when someone else makes a choice they disagree with, they
: discount and rationalize away the choice itself, and the possibility
: that someone else has genuinely different priorities that lead them to
: a different conclusion.

Again, you have a good point.  I'm just here to say that other people
who rationalize a non-Mac choice (however valid the rationale may be)
tend to be few and far between.  I want to separate the co-mingling of
"other" and "most" when applied to "people", that "other people" does
not imply "most people".

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/