[X Newbies] OS stability - was Re: [X Newbies] Crashing of text editor?

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Mar 31 03:55:01 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:06:57PM +1000, marina wrote:
:
: SR wrote:
:
:  >How can you say that MS has a monopoly on the market when we're sitting
:  >here using something else?
[...]
:
: You don't call this monopoly? I'm not good at semantics, so if you would
: like to propose an alternative definition, I'm happy to listen :-)

Steven is being too pendantic, arguing that if M$ was a true by-the-book
monopoly, there would be no choice at all, there would be no Macs, no
Linux, no *BSD, etc. in existence for consumers to own.  It's the same
difference between the dictionary definition of monopoly and the
real-world practical monopoly.  It's the same difference as arguing that
crotchy old white men don't have a monopoly on the highest positions of
political power and top executive chairs of business, while in practice
they have an overwhelming majority presence.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/