[X Newbies] OS stability

marina marina at reliance.it
Wed Mar 31 19:43:38 PST 2004

Alex wrote:

[snip]
 >Would you like to continue by debating the meaning of "plurality" and
 >"exclusive"? Or perhaps carry on the linguistic discussion somewhere
 >else?

As I said before, I don't think it really matters what word we want to use.
We know what we're talking about. The same was true in the 60's, when IBM
dominated the computer market, so there's nothing new about this
phenomenon. There was a saying back then, that IT managers never got fired
for recommending IBM - no matter how bad the system ended up being.

And it's very much the same these days. As everybody in the IT business
knows, job security is a dominant consideration. I have heard of cases when
new computer systems have been installed and, despite prior assurance by
the management that there would be no job losses as a consequence, whole
floors, hundreds of people have been fired the day the new system went
live. Computer people know better than any others the power of computer
systems to put them out of a job. And it's not far fetched and fanciful to
derive from this, that a lot of people use and recommend Microsoft simply
because they don't want to lose their job. I personally know several people
who carry on a "double life" (Microsoft at work, anything else at home),
and keep this to themselves and the few non-Microsoft friends they have,
because they are admittedly scared of losing their jobs. I can't blame them
for their (very human) concerns, of course.

As a user, however, I am working for myself and I don't have to worry about
being fired. What I am concerned about, is getting the job done in time,
reliably and cost-effectively.
It's already been said, and it's very true, that people choose computers
just the way they choose a car. Some people choose based on what they think
will impress or emulate the neighbours. Other people choose on
functionality and results. In the first case, the motivations have nothing
to do with reliability, cost effectiveness or ease of use, and usually do
not originate any critical thoughts, nor any need to discuss the
*functionality* of the car.

Even so, both choices are "right". It's a matter of knowing where our
concerns come from. For me, I think it's great that I am able to use a
wonderful computer system every day, and I am concerned that the market
trends might make it a non-option in the future.

 >An interesting example of the Stalinist/McCarthyist method.

See my reply to Steven.

 >"Support and reassurance"?! As in, soft and pink and fuzzy and warm and
 >loving and embracing and non-judgmental?

I believe I understand where you're coming from, and sympathise with your
feelings. What I mean by "support and reassurance", though, has nothing to
do with new-agey stuff, and is exactly the opposite to the
Stalinist/McCarthyist methods you seem to enjoy mentioning.

It's a tough world we live in. And because we are a minority, a
disadvantaged minority even, it is vital that we all work together if we
want to survive. Arguing among ourselves might eventually prove that some
of us are smarter, more knowledgeable and better educated than others.
However, it is *not* going to help us survive in a world that would only be
too happy to get rid of those who want to think for themselves.

Let us work *together*, please.

marina