[X Newbies] deleting files

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon May 3 11:35:17 PDT 2004

On Friday, Apr 30, 2004, at 12:45 Canada/Eastern, Raoul Armfield wrote:

> I am having some issues deleting certain folders either from the finder
> or from the CLI.  I get permission denied errors.  When I look at the
> permissions I am the owner and have read/write permissions to these
> folders.  However, I notice that there is a little lock symbol on the
> folder and the locked box is checked off and greyed out thus I am
> unable
> to unlock it. [...]

Sounds like the "user immutable" flag was set for these folders. I
don't know how (or if it's possible) to change it in Finder, but it's
fairly easy in Terminal:

$chflags nouchg [folder-name]

where $ is your prompt, and [folder-name] is the name(s) of the
respective folders (you can drag-and-drop them to Terminal instead of
typing their paths). See also Apple KB articles ID 106272 and ID
106237. For more details on the chflags command:

$man chflags