[X Newbies] usb modem recommendation request

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat May 8 12:45:27 PDT 2004

tafkar said:

>I am helping a friend set up a PowerMac G3 (beige) running Jaguar.
>Currently he's using a 33.6 serial modem and would like to get a 56K
>modem. I was thinking a USB modem might be best, but am not sure which
>models are compatible with OSX.
>Does anyone have a recommendation?

The *only* Macintosh-compatible USB modem that implements V.92 (the
fastest standard) is:

Best Data V.92 USB external fax modem for Macintosh
http://www.bestdata.com/product.asp?pid=58&catID=4
(You will have to get alternate fax software to work with this modem to
do faxing.)

There are a number of Windows-only USB V.92 modems, but unfortunately
they cannot be made Mac-compatibile by simply changing the initialization
string, as you could for many previous external Windows modems.  The Best
Data is your only choice if you want a USB V.92 modem to work with your
Mac.

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html