Appleworks and OS X

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun May 23 21:45:16 PDT 2004

> From: Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net>
>

> Is there a checklist of what to do to keep all drivers and so forth,
> how to archive, etc.?

There's no need. It's all handled by the installer. All you have to do
is specify that you want "Archive and Install" at the appropriate place
in the setup prior to the install.

Here's a technote to guide you through it.

> Especially, how to ensure mail, bookmarks, Palm user files, drivers,
> etc. can be kept
> and returned?

Well, it should go without saying that a full, bootable backup onto
another HD of your hard drive is ideal before attempting anything like
this. It's a very safe operation, but Murphy's Law rules this planet.
:)

> My Missing Manual says clean install on OSX not necessary? Can you
> elaborate?

I hate that phrase because so many people don't understand it. To put
this as simply as possible, unless you erase the hard drive, your
existing OS X *user* folder is not touched by a system install. Your
user folder is where everything you put on the machine (except apps and
fonts and system stuff) goes. All your settings, your documents, your
movies/music, your internet password, your preferences, even the things
on your desktop ... they are all actually in your user folder.

So, we basically have three types of install:
1. A complete wipe and install of a fresh system, destroying all
previous data. Your user folder or anything from the "old" install will
not be there anymore.

2. A "clean" install, which means a fresh new SYSTEM is in place but
your user stuff is safe. The old system is not deleted, just moved and
deactivated. You'll have to set your system preferences (internet,
printing etc) stuff up over again.

3. An "archive and install," which is the same thing as above except
that your system preferences are automatically backed up and restored
once the new system is in place. This is the one you want.

> Also, I'm on dialup and have had no success getting uncorrupted files.
> Is there any other
> way? (Other than letting my brother d/l on Windows and mailing me a
> CD).

That probably won't work anyway, unless he's careful NOT to "unzip" or
"expand" the files he gets for you.

It may not be an option in your area, but given what you do for a
living (nice work, btw), I'd *strongly* recommend you look into the
feasibility of cable or DSL. You probably have a separate phone line
just for internet, which is costing you $30-50/month anyway. For that
exact same money, you could be online all the time at 30x your present
speed (or more!). Updates like this will only get *bigger* as more
people get on the bandwidthwagon (did I just coin a phrase?). Phones
lines are fine for email and fax and light surfing ... terrible for
moving lots of data around. Believe me, I'd give up eating out for a
week before I'd give up my cable modem.

> Also don't want to eliminate my scanner, which I notice has no OSX
> driver, the lastest
> one they have is for 9. I use it through Classic.

I'm using a scanner that has no official driver for OS X. There's a
semi-solution involving UNIX and a crude GUI, but it's not good enough
(yet) for my needs so I'm still using Photoshop 4 with a UMAX plug-in
to get scans from mine through Classic in 10.3.3. Works fine.

_Chas_

"[Our brave servicemen and women] serve so that we don't have to. They
offer to give up their lives so that we can be free. It is, remarkably,
their gift to us. And all they ask for in return is that we never send
them into harm's way unless it is absolutely necessary. Will they ever
trust us again?"
-- Michael Moore

Frank Rich reviews Farenheit 9/11:
http://www.iht.com/articles/521066.html