[X Newbies] Appleworks and OS X

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Mon May 24 05:23:48 PDT 2004

On Friday, May 21, 2004, at 12:01 AM, C. Russell wrote:

> Running Excel 98 in Classic would help keep you producing and in the
> your spare time try a solve the problem

I could actually stay with Excel 98, except that I don't own it (a
friend gave it to me) and it won't
recopy onto any of my machines any more. I lost it on my laptop about a
year ago. So if my
system bites the dust, so do my files, as I will have nothing to read
them with ...

... unless you know of a way to reinstall Excel 98 without original
disks, when an error message
comes up preventing any more copies, etc.

I do need a permanent solution at some point, though.

> ... I have found that installing a clean OS X also has solved problems.

I don't know what this entails. I *HAVE* read my Missing Manual but
don't see anything
on what is involved, at least enough to give me a comfort level. I'm
fine with all the OSX
basics, now I need an "intermediate level" book or resource. Will I
lose my programs?
How do I copy back invisible files with the visible ones? Should I
partition and how do I do it?
Etc.

> I see you are running OS 10.2 you should be upgrade to the latest
> update of 10.2.8. The update to a complete 10.2.8 including itunes,
> Quicktime, iphoto etc is a very large file and will take some
> time...Consider the option of a clean  install before an update.

Am I likely to lose any peripheral functionality after this update?
Will I have to reinstall programs
and drivers? Is anything likely to not work anymore for good (older
Palm, older scanner)? How
do I answer these questions? Looks like I ought to do the update for
the security fix alone. But
I need my scanner, too. It is an HP4400c, and I notice from their site
that they have no OSX
drivers at all.

Also, I should update the OS9 to 9.2.2, but on a dialup this is
frightfully slow, so prolly
need to get my brother to d/l on his fast connex on Windows and mail me
a CD. Will
this work? It did for OS9.1 for the laptop. Will this work for the
10.2.8 update?

So many questions, sorry!

Many thanks for any answers or resources you can point me to.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X 10.2.0/Classic)
896 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive