[X-Newbies] Safari and eBay signin

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 08:56:16 PST 2004

On Nov 11, 2004, at 7:36 AM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> Somewhere along the path of OS (and Safari) upgrades (10.2-10.3.5),
> Safari has lost the ability to "keep me signed in" to eBay. Every time
> I try to go to "My eBay" I have to enter my user ID and password, even
> if I've told it to keep me signed in. I even have to re-signin if I
> press refresh after the browser has been idle for about 20 minutes.
> Any ideas why it's now like this? As far as I remember I haven't
> changed any of my Safari settings.

So far as I know, Ebay has worked like that for years, and most sites
with data that's even a little bit sensitive do also (e.g. Yahoo
groups). Even when you have "remember my password" checked, it
periodically asks you for it again anyway if your session times out,
and before you begin any identity-sensitive transaction. Its just their
way of trying to cut down on the massive amount of abuse that goes on
through identity theft.

SR