[X-Newbies] out of control mess

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Oct 1 13:30:56 PDT 2004

On Oct 1, 2004, at 2:05 PM, John Park wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm writing for help on organizing my mac.  Is there a web page or
> book that describes different ways to organize files.  I seem to end
> up with everything on my desktop, and multiple versions of things and
> in general a big mess of files.

To start, I'm going to assume you're using Mac OS X. If that is the
case, Apple has started the process for you in your home folder. There
will be folders called Documents, Movies, Music  and Pictures among
others.

I generally add another one I call "Downloads" and set the preferences
in my web browsers and any other programs that download files to use
that folder as the default for downloads -saves clutter on the desktop.

 From there, let the files you have dictate the structure. If you have
files related to finance and/or banking, create a folder called
"Finance" for them. If you have multiple versions of something and want
to keep all of them, put them in a single folder with the base name of
whatever is in there. In general, if you see a group of files with a
logical connection, make a folder for them. Wether these folders go
inside your Documents folder or not is up to you. Some people use the
Documents folders for all the odds and ends that don't fit anywhere
else.

Don't hesitate to make sub-folders as needed. For example, I have an
Applications folder within my Downloads folder for all those
applications I download that I'm going to try out some day. Really, I
am :-)

When I first started using Macs, back when Apple made beige
all-in-ones, I was told that there shouldn't be more than 12 items in a
folder, 20 max. The reason being that if you couldn't see them all at a
glance, it was going to be faster to use another level of folders of
logically related items. Of course screens were much smaller then and
we didn't have thousands of files spanning 10's of gigabytes (just
dozens of files spanning 800 kB). Whenever possible though, I still try
to follow that guideline.

-Mike