[X-Newbies] Transferring files: G3-iMac G 5?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Oct 2 10:46:57 PDT 2004

Richard Bienvenu said:

>I _think_ that the best (quickest) way is to use Ethernet cable and
>create a 2 mac network for file transfer. However, I've got
>conflicting information on what sort of cable to use. The iMac
>"User's Guide" says that "you don't need a crossover cable to connect
>to other Ethernet devices." However, the piece of cable that hooks my
>office machine to our LAN (a Cat 5 patch) doesn't seem to do the job
>when I hook the iMac and the G3 together--no files show up on the
>iMac.
>
>Could it be that the G3 does require a crossover cable?

No, the G5 sees to it that you don't need a crossover cable.

By far the easiest way to migrate data from your old Mac to your new Mac
is via  FireWire target disk mode.  This allows you to connect the two
computers together with a FireWire cable and transfer the files as if you
were transfering from one drive to another (simple drag and drop):

One minor problem is finding someplace to purchase a FireWire cable that
won't charge you $36, like CompUSA would want to. Here is a 10ft. one (6
pin to 6 pin, which is what you need) for only $10:
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3839977

Info on FireWire Target Disk Mode:

Make sure that your G3 has all the relevant updates, especially the
FireWire update:

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html