[X-Newbies] Re: Transferring files: G3-iMac G 5?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Oct 3 21:00:10 PDT 2004

> From: Richard Bienvenu <BienvenuR at missouri.edu>
>
> I _think_ that the best (quickest) way is to use Ethernet cable and
> create a 2 mac network for file transfer.

No. The fastest method is firewire transfer, but of course this depends
on having both Mac equipped with Firewire (but if they both have it,
wow!).

>  However, I've got
> conflicting information on what sort of cable to use. The iMac
> "User's Guide" says that "you don't need a crossover cable to connect
> to other Ethernet devices." However, the piece of cable that hooks my
> office machine to our LAN (a Cat 5 patch) doesn't seem to do the job
> when I hook the iMac and the G3 together--no files show up on the
> iMac.
>
> Could it be that the G3 does require a crossover cable?

Only one of the machines needs to be "auto-sensing" in order for the
regular cat 5 cable to work, so no that's not the problem. Much more
likely is that you've forgotten to turn on sharing on the G3 and share
the hard drive (you can "get info" on the hard drive to set this up)
before connecting to the iMac. Once sharing is active, you'll likely
need to restart the G3 before the iMac can "see" it, though perhaps
not.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org