[X-Newbies] Mac Malware

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Sat Oct 23 05:42:57 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:08:25PM +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
:
: After reading on Macintouch about "Opener" a new variety of Mac malware,

Warning: "Opener" is overblown.  It's basically a shell script that
*requires* admin access to do anything useful, because it cannot get
admin access by itself.

: I decided to take a trawl through my system with NetInfo manager.  In
: Users I found the following two items, the others looked plausible
: although this doesn't mean they are benign.
:
: User = unknown,  shell = /usr/bin/false, realname = unknown user
:
: User = nobody,  shell = /usr/bin/false, realname = unprivileged user
:
: Has anyone any idea what these might be?  I doubt whether my system is
: infected, although I do run a single account as admin user largely
: because its remained that way since I first installed X1 way back when.

You are not infected with any evil stuff.  Both of those two accounts
are normal, standard to almost all Unix distributions including OS X,
and should be left alone.

: On a new machine I would probably set up two accounts - one admin and one
: as user.

That would be a good idea.

--
Eugene Lee