[X-Newbies] Mac Malware

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 04:08:25 PDT 2004

Hi all,

After reading on Macintouch about "Opener"  a new variety of Mac malware,
I decided to take a trawl through my system with NetInfo manager.  In
Users I found the following two items, the others looked plausible
although this doesn't mean they are benign.

User = unknown,  shell = /usr/bin/false, realname = unknown user

User = nobody,  shell = /usr/bin/false, realname = unprivileged user

Has anyone any idea what these might be?  I doubt whether my system is
infected, although I do run a single account as admin user largely
because its remained that way since I first installed X1 way back when.
On a new machine I would probably set up two accounts - one admin and one
as user.

cheers,

Chris